Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Choice


This poem needs a little back-story. At my church there was a patch of trees where we used to be able to play capture the flag and waste a lot of time during church picnics. Recently, the forest was hollowed out and all that is left is a perimeter. During Literature a few weeks ago, we went on a walk around the church property and it was the first time I saw what had happened.

The Choice
As I come upon the knoll,
I cannot help but wonder,
If, perhaps a part of my soul,
Has gone away to wander.
As I look upon the trees,
I hear the bird’s retreation.
The woods are on their knees,
The trees bowed in submission.
The loved forest has fled,
And left a clearing in its wake.
Its leaves have formed a bed,
Enticing you to take,
A doze among their midst.
But no! I must not!
No matter how you persist,
 I must vacate this spot!
As I gather up the courage
It will take to walk away,
Please don’t be discouraged,
I’ll be back again… someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment