Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Sinner Redeemed

Ok, this is the first story I wrote for Literature. It was a continuation of Leo Tolstoy's "God Sees the Truth, but Waits." The story that I continued can be found here http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.online-literature.com%2Ftolstoy%2F2061%2F&h=42cb9


A continuation to the story “God sees the truth but waits” by Leo Tolstoy, how I feel the story would have continued.
Written August 25-27, 2010
Requirements: Tell the untold story of what happened to Makar Semyonich, use foreshadowing and, tell where your foreshadowing occurred.


The Sinner Redeemed

                        “God will forgive you!” said Aksionov. “Maybe I am a hundred times worse than you.”
                Makar Semyonich’s heart fell at these words, for he had seen a light go out in this poor man’s eyes. How could he have been so cruel? He had taken everything from this man and laughed at his misfortune. Makar knew what he must do. He had made up his mind. First thing tomorrow morning he would confess everything to his guards. Perhaps his last act could be freeing this innocent soul. Makar went back to his bed and attempted to sleep away his guilt. No matter what he tried, Makar could not rest. Instead of sleeping, He spent the night confessing his sins and begging for forgiveness from a god he did believe in. He arose the next morning unrested and with blood-shot eyes. Ignoring the breakfast line, he headed straight to the nearest guard.
                                “Please sir, it is urgent that I meet with the Governor!” Makar pleaded
                                “If you are wanting to petition for you release, forget it. The Governor has said he will hear no more petitions until the culprit behind the tunnel is found.” the guard replied gruffly.
                                “But sir, that is the very matter I wish to speak to him about! I know who dug that tunnel!” said Makar
                                “If you know, then tell me. I will pass the news on to the Governor.” said the guard
                                “I’m sorry sir, but I will only tell the Governor.” Makar stated simply.
Angry now, the guard said very forcefully:
                                “Do you realize that I could have you flogged for your disobedience!?! Tell me now, or suffer a terrible beating!”
                                “That is something I would gladly welcome, for I am more than worthy. Nevertheless, I still will speak only to the Governor.” Makar said resolutely.
                The guard, very agree indeed, realized that Makar would not budge. Therefore, he resigned himself to speak with the Governor.
                                “Come with me, Scum!” the guard spat. Makar obediently followed.
                The Governor of the prison, Abram Agaphya, was finishing up some paperwork before breakfast. A prisoner had recently died and he needed to complete these forms.
                                “What was his name? Afanas? Afanasi?” Abram pondered aloud. “Oh well, it’s not like anyone cared anyway.” he thought dismissively. Whatever-his-name-was’s body had been unceremoniously deposited in an unmarked beggars grave. Abram wrote the last touches to his notes with a flourish, and then let his mind wander. His stomach rumbled as he thought of the warm gruel he would soon be enjoying. Abram was startled out of his daydream by a knock on his door.
                                “Enter” he said as he composed himself. In stepped one of his guards looking nervous.
                                “Your name is Anotoly, is it not? (Abram made a point of memorizing all of his guard’s names. He felt it helped him gain their respect.)   
                                “Yes sir, it is sir. I am sorry to bother you, but I have come because, this scum (he pulled Makar roughly into the room) says he knows who dug that escape tunnel.”
                                “So, why have you brought him to me? Could you not ask him yourself? Instead you choose to waste my time?” Abram questioned.
                                “I did ask sir, but he refused to tell anyone but you sir.” the guard replied.
                                “Very well, you may go now, Anotoly.”
                                “Yes sir.” The guard said as he bowed out of the room.
                                “Well? What do you need to tell me?” Abram asked Makar once the guard had left.
                                “Sir, I wish to confess. It was I who dug that tunnel. I attempted to escape but failed.” said Makar.
                                “I see.” Abram said “I sense that is not all you wish to confess. Please continue.” Abram calmly stated.
                                “You are correct sir. It was also I, not Ivan Dmitrich, who killed that merchant twenty-six years ago.” And with that, Makar Semyonich told the Governor the entire story. When he was finished Abram was stunned into silence. He asked Makar why, after all these years, he had finally confessed. Makar simply stated that, after having received compassion and forgiveness from the very man whose life he had ruined, he could no longer bear the guilt.
                                “Well Makar, you have just signed your life away with this confession. From now until you die you will be forced into slave labor.” stated the Governor.
                                “As long as Ivan Dmitrich Aksionov is set free, I will gladly accept any task set before me.”
                                “I am going to move you to the high security section of this prison. I can honestly say, I do not envy you for what you will suffer there. But you will pay for the pain you caused Aksionov.” stated the Governor. As he spoke, he began writing a form for the immediate release of Aksionov. When he was finished he put shackles on Makar’s hands and feet.
                                “You will come with me to deliver the news to Aksionov. You will then move to your new high security cell.” explained Abram. Makar did not speak, only nodded his head. When they arrived at Aksionov’s bed they saw that he was laying down facing the wall. Thinking he is asleep, Makar attempted to rouse him by shaking him and calling out:
                                “Aksionov! Aksionov! I told the Governor everything, you are being released! Wake up!” As Makar shook him he noticed an unnatural coldness on Aksionov’s skin.
                                “He won’t wake.” Makar said shakily.
                                “Move” grunted the Governor. Abram checked Aksionov’s pulse, and then peeled back his eyelids. Nothing. Ivan Dmitrich Aksionov was dead.
                                “He’s been dead for nearly an hour by the looks of it. Pity too, he was a good man.” Abram said sadly.
                                “He has something in his hand.” As he said this, Makar reached over and pulled a folded piece of paper out of the lifeless hands. Struggling with his shackled hands, he managed to unfold the paper. Another smaller piece fell out as he did so. The top of the page read “Last Wishes” in small bunched handwriting. The letter read as follows”
Last Wishes
I now know the identity of the man who caused me to lose twenty-six years of my life. Surprisingly, I am at peace. After the initial anger and hatred passed, I realized that God would want me to forgive this man. I have. I hold nothing against Makar Semyonich. In fact, my one last request is meant to benefit this man. It is my wish that the Governor will change the name on the release from he has undoubtedly written. Instead of my name, in its place should be Makar. I do not wish that he serve his sentence, for I have already served it for him. This is all I ask. May God be with you all.
                                                                                                Ivan Dmitrich Aksionov
Makar’s eyes had filled with tears as he read. When finished he handed it to the Governor. I was then that he saw the piece of paper that had fallen as he opened the letter. It had his name on it. While Abram was busy reading, he quickly put the paper in his pocket. Abram looked up and said:
                                “Well, I guess this is good news for you Makar. Because this was his last wish, I feel honor-bound to follow through with his request. You will be free by the end of the day.” With that he began to unshackle Makar.
                                “Thank you sir, thank you!” Makar exclaimed.
                                “Don’t thank me, thank this poor soul” Abram said, pointing at the body of Aksionov. Then the Governor left and Makar pulled the piece of paper out of his pocket. Unfolding it, he saw a very short note written in the same writing as the letter. It had an address and one sentence on it. Then sentence said, “Go here, explain what happened.” Makar didn’t know the meaning of it. All he knew was that he WOULD do what it said. Makar was released and immediately headed towards the address Aksionov had left him. The journey was long. About mid-day on the third day he finally arrived at a decently sized house. Makar knocked and a woman in her mid-thirties came to the door.
                                “Can I help you?” she enquired warily.
                                “Yes, I am here on the business of Ivan Dmitrich Aksionov. Does that name mean anything to you?” Makar asked.
                                “Yes! Yes it does! That was my father’s name! You know him? Is he well? Where is he?” she asked excitedly
                                “I’m afraid I have bad news. If you allow me to come in, I can explain everything.” Makar responded.
                                “Of course, come in.” she said quickly
                Makar explained to her everything, the murder, his escape and Aksionov’s capture. He told her of his arrest and his escape attempt. He ended his tale with the compassion of the woman’s father and the release of Makar. All the while the woman had sat silently listening, tears in her eyes.
                                “As you see,” Makar said, “I will be more than willing to place my life in your hands. Do with me as you see fit. I will not struggle.”
                                “Very well, Makar Semyonich, you,” (Makar braced himself) “may go free.” Makar didn’t understand.
                                “What?” he questioned
                                “You are forgiven. Thankyou for your honesty, you may go unharmed.” And she smiled as she said this. Shocked, Makar finally spoke.
                                “First your father, now you? How can you so easily forgive me for robbing you of your lives?” Aksionov’s daughter then explained about Christ and how Christians were not meant to hold grudges. She told how God gave them the ability to accept and forgive. She then led Makar Semyonich to the Lord and he left her home with joy in his heart. He had confessed his sins. More importantly, God HAD forgiven him.

My foreshadowing was in the title and when Aksionov told him he would be forgiven. Also, the “Lights going out” in Aksionov’s eyes indicated he would die.

No comments:

Post a Comment